Our parent and family organization is committed to providing a well-organized, strong and equitable academic environment for our students. Friends of Thurgood Marshall is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of parent volunteers, working closely with school administrators and staff to meet the diverse needs of our school community.
Friends of Thurgood Marshall Elementary is able to provides a wide range of volunteer and financial support to the school. View the 2020-21 budget here.
We help fund the following:
- Our library program – Mr. Zetterberg provides literacy and computer education, keeps our shelves full of wonderful books, and runs the Global Reading Challenge program and book exchanges.
- Theater Artists-in-Residence, who bring a rich drama curriculum to selected classrooms, teaching our children about storytelling, improvisation, character development and other dramatic techniques.
- Opportunity Grants and Classroom Grants available to teachers and staff for needs including instructional materials, art supplies, playground equipment, and books for the main and classroom libraries.
- Special performances at school assemblies such as Book-it Repertory Theatre, Taproot Theatre and musical groups.
- Before-school Choir, which performs at school and District events.
- Scholarships for After-School Enrichment Programs to support equitable access to a wide variety of after-school activities, classes and enrichment opportunities for students
- And more, including movie nights, special parent-education programs, parent-led special-interest groups and outreach efforts such as this website and Pup Press!
PLUS: Volunteers are recruited and coordinated by a lead volunteer, and account for thousands of hours in classroom, logistical and event support.