The Thurgood Marshall PTA
Welcome to the Thurgood Marshall Parent Teacher Association (PTA) website. We are an organization of parents, teachers and staff members who strive to support the intellectual, social and emotional needs of all our students and families. The Thurgood Marshall PTA is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit (Tax ID 91-1462857) affiliated with the national PTA. With other state and local PTAs, we advocate for our students through educational outreach, fundraising and community involvement. While we hope TM parents will join us by becoming a member, all activities we sponsor are open to every TM family.
What your PTA does…
We support our students, staff and families through community building events and fundraising efforts needed to support our many programs. Here are some examples of what the PTA supports within the school:
- School Counselor (100% of salary for part-time position)
- Librarian (covering 50% of salary, so position is full time)
- Tutors (partial funding)
- Drama: classes taught by artists-in-residence and assemblies by Book-It Rep and Taproot Theatre
- Classroom grants for every teacher and staff member to support the needs of students
- “Opportunity” grants to fund a new idea that any teacher or staff member feels could benefit their classroom or the school
- School Directory compilation and publication
- Before- & After-School Enrichment Program
- Support for Equity Action Teams
- Recruitment and coordination of most volunteers
Examples of community-building events, open to all families and staff, include:
- Grade-level potlucks in the Fall
- Fall Dance
- Pancake Breakfast and Winter Art Walk
- Games Night
- TM at the Mariners
- Grade-level picnics in the Spring
- PTA General Meetings, featuring topics important to parents and our school
Our success depends on the energy, enthusiasm and interest of our many volunteers. We hope you will consider joining our team! Please share your ideas to help support our mission of serving all students, staff and families at Thurgood Marshall Elementary. New ideas are always welcome.
- Join the PTA! Visit the Membership Page to learn how.
- See dates and minutes of General meetings and Board meetings.
- View this year’s list of PTA Board members.
- Interesting in making a difference? Join the Board! Read descriptions of Board roles.
- View PTA Standing Rules.
–> Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.