What is the Impact on Thurgood Marshall?
The final vote on Growth Boundaries has little direct effect on Thurgood Marshall. See below for details. In the coming weeks more information will be made available as the District goes through the various amendments made during the final vote on Nov. 20.
It is our understanding that the boundaries for Thurgood Marshall remain the same at this time, however we are waiting for final confirmation of this from the District. The District will be reviewing enrollment data each year and may make adjustments as needed to support growth at our school.
No information at this time as the District works to create a District-wide plan.
Accelerated Progress Program (APP)
- The current guaranteed pathway for all APP students will remain the same (Thurgood Marshall Elementary, Washington Middle School, Garfield High School ).
- There will be a new optional pathway for APP Elementary at Fairmount Park Elementary School (FPES) in West Seattle in 2014 (a “blended program” with Spectrum, details unknown at this time).
- The optional Southeast pathway as well as the proposed site at Madison will not happen until some date in the future.
- APP Elementary will stay at Lincoln (until the 2017 move to Wilson Pacific)
- APP Elementary will share the Lincoln building with AS#1 and the Indian Heritage program (AS#1/Indian Heritage will be housed in the South Wing)
- APP Middle School will be split into 2 cohorts in 2014: the NE cohort going to Jane Addams Middle School (JAMS) and the NW cohort staying (for now) at Hamilton International Middle School (HIMS). Northeast APP students will not be grandfathered at Hamilton.
- The NW cohort will either move to Wilson Pacific Middle School (WPMS), or be split between HIMS and WPMS, in 2016 or 2017 depending on the size of the cohort.
Thank you to the many parents and families who wrote to the School Board and District Staff over the last couple of months as plans were drafted on the boundaries for our school.
Learn how the Growth Boundaries affect the entire District here: www.seattleschools.org.
Permanent link to this article: http://tmlink.org/2013/11/23/nov-23-growth-boundaries-update/
Parent-Teacher conferences are Nov. 23-27 at Thurgood Marshall Elem. It’s a great opportunity to get to know your student’s teacher and ask how your student is doing in class.
- Make sure you ask all the questions you and your child have and understand the answers.
- Remember to tell important information about your child or family changes.
Below are translated brochures from the Seattle Public Schools with great suggestions for questions to ask during your conference.
SOMALI VIETNAMESE SPANISH CHINESE
Some questions you might want to ask during the conference:
- Is my child meeting academic standards at his/her grade level in reading, writing and math?
- Could you please show me some work that shows that my child is meeting standards?
- What can I do from home to support my student? What materials can I use?
- How often and how long should my child be doing homework?
- What are my child’s academic strengths and weaknesses?
- Does my child get along well with other children?
- How can I know about my child’s progress? Do you send progress reports home? How often?
- How can I best communicate with you throughout the year (email, phone calls, notes, etc.)?
Students learn best when schools, families and communities work together and communicate well with each other. Parent-Teacher conferences give parents and teachers the opportunity to share information, solve problems, and establish relationships that directly contribute to student success.
Permanent link to this article: http://tmlink.org/2013/11/21/parent-teacher-conferences/
Our school Fall Dance is Friday, Nov. 15 and we need to fill 30-60 min. volunteer slots. It’s easy! Just follow this link to sign up online: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/508084EA9A62BA64-fall/5932664
It will be a night of fun, dancing and activities for all the family. See you there!
Permanent link to this article: http://tmlink.org/2013/11/11/sign-up-to-help-at-fall-dance/
We are excited to welcome two Thurgood Marshall staff members – School Counselor Meghan Kaloper and Vice Principal Christine Helm – to the next PTA meeting where they will tell us more about their work at school and answer your questions. If you have a question for either of them, please email it to us at email@example.com. We will compile questions for the meeting on Nov. 21.
PTA General Meeting
Thursday, Nov. 21 in the Library from 6:30 – 8:00 pm
Everyone is welcome. We hope to see you there!
Permanent link to this article: http://tmlink.org/2013/11/07/vice-principal-and-counselor-speak-at-nov-21-pta-meeting/