Equity Action Team initiatives at Thurgood Marshall grew out of a staff “Equity Team” created in 2014-15 to better ensure that the school offers all students equity in educational opportunities. The fact that TM hosts three distinct programs (Scholars, Highly Capable Cohort and PEACE Academy) offers challenge and potential that is unique within the Seattle Public School District.
Starting in 2015-16, parents became more involved with what had primarily been a staff effort. PTA meetings focused on people’s inherent biases and perspectives on equity from District officials. Staff and parents met to create and work on next steps, through “Equity Action Teams” that continue to exist.
Projects & History
- See this spreadsheet (PDF) for work progress as of May 2017.
- See this 1-page summary (PDF) of equity efforts at TM, as of May 2017.
- Black Family Advocacy and Support Group
- Facilitating Conversations About Race and Equity Team
- Gender Issues Team
- Racial Equity in HCC Team (broader team that is Districtwide)
- Social Studies Team
- Supporting our Scholars Team
- Equity Action Leadership Team: Devin Bruckner, Venesssa Goldberg, Angie Jenkins, Casey Sommers, Trinia Washington and Principal Katie May.
- Questions about Equity Action Team Meetings? Contact Casey Sommers.
- Questions about the Black Family Advocacy Support Group (BFASG)? Contact Trinia Washington or Angie Jenkins.
- If you wish to join a team, please email a leadership team member, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2017-18 Meetings (6-8 pm unless otherwise noted):
May 31 | April 27 | Feb. 8 | Oct. 25 (6-8 pm) | Aug. 28 picnic (5:30-7:30 pm)
–> Meeting notes
Oct. 25, 2017 [Brainstorm] | May 24, 2017 | March 23, 2017 | Jan. 19, 2017 | Oct. 24, 2016 | June 9, 2016
Selected actions/news articles
- Equity Action Teams co-sponsored the “Undoing Racism & Teaching Equity to Children” workshop (March 28, 2017).
- Districtwide equity in HCC group has Facebook page and website. Access (or join) their e-mail list here.
- HCC eligibility/screening proposals sent to School Board
- Social studies blending has been approved by the District!