The Thurgood Marshall Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is committed to providing a well-organized, strong and equitable academic environment for our students. The PTA is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of parent volunteers and staff representatives. We work closely with the Principal and staff to meet the diverse needs of our school community.
When you join the Thurgood Marshall PTA, you also become a member of the Washington State PTA. Membership provides you with a reliable source of information regarding the school community, curriculum and all related matters on the state and local level. Members elect TM’s PTA leaders, approve the budget and receive discounts at certain businesses.
Thurgood Marshall PTA is able to provides a wide range of volunteer and financial support to the school. View the 2017-18 budget here.
We help fund the following:
- 100% of the salary for Ms. Meghan Kaloper, School Counselor, who runs our Conflict Mediator program, Kindness Klub and social skills groups, and who is available to help all students three days per week.
- 50% of the salary for our librarian, Ms. Merilee Hudson, enabling her to be full time. Ms. Hudson provides literacy and computer education, keeps our shelves full of wonderful books, and runs the Global Reading Challenge program and book exchanges.
- A Seattle Children’s Theatre Artist-in-Residence, who brings a rich drama curriculum to our classrooms, teaching our children about storytelling, improvisation, character development and other dramatic techniques.
- Opportunity Grants and Classroom Grants available to teachers and staff for needs including instructional materials, art supplies, playground equipment, and books for the main and classroom libraries.
- Literacy tutors to ensure that younger students improve to grade-level reading by no later than 3rd grade.
- Special performances at school assemblies, including Book-it Repertory Theatre, Taproot Theatre and musical groups.
- Before-school Choir, which performs at school and District events.
- and more, including movie nights, special parent-education programs, parent-led special-interest groups and outreach efforts such as this website and Pup Press!
PLUS: Volunteers are recruited and coordinated by a PTA volunteer, and account for thousands of hours in classroom, logistical and event support.