PTA members elected 2017-18 Board Officers, thanked extraordinary volunteers, and approved a $191,700 budget at the general meeting on May 16.
The meeting also featured a showing of the documentary “Screenagers,” after which Principal Katie May led a discussion about screen-use issues. Some 80 parents and children attended.
The Officers, whose 1-year terms begin July 1, are:
- Co-President: Jennifer Ellis
- Co-President: Karen Pinkard
- Vice President: Stacey Joanovic
- Treasurer: Kiyomi Morton
- Secretary: Katherine Barr
In serving as the Executive Committee, the Officers select additional members of the Board. Some 2017-18 positions remain available, and all roles can be shared by up to three people. Contact email@example.com if you may be interested.
- Communications Chair: Cliff Meyer
- Legislative Relations Chair: Venessa Goldberg
- Volunteer Coordination Chair: Ann McNally
- PEACE/Special Education Liaison: Noelle Mathias
- PTA Teacher Liaison: Merilee Hudson/Donna Dugan
- Equity Liaison: Venessa Goldberg
- Fundraising Co-Chairs: open
- Events Chair: open
- Arts Liaison: open
The budget will again support a wide variety of activities, but 71 percent of the funds go toward staffing, including our Librarian (half of salary), part-time Counselor and tutors.
The PTA expressed gratitude to several parent volunteers who held special roles in recent years, but will “graduate” in June from TM with their 5th-grader:
- Lauri Nakamoto (served 2 years as PTA Board Secretary and 1 year as Vice President)
- Jeremy Mazner (arranged for free Microsoft SharePoint cloud, email and other services, and provided tech support for the past 5 years)
- Erinn Mcintyre (led Pup Press distribution, and helped in main office and with vision and hearing screenings)
- Kathryn Saxer (edited Yearbook for 2 years)
- Sudeshna Sen (led Enrichment Program for 2 years and donated her time to create a movie about arts at TM)
- Natalie Zheng (donated many hours as library helper and chess club lead parent over 6-year span)